Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Resolutions

Can I tell you a secret? Well, I guess if I tell you it won't be a secret anymore, but here it is; I really like New Year's resolutions. So many people mock them or complain about them, but I love the idea of making a fresh start and commitment. I know it sounds kind of dorky, but that's me.


I have a few resolutions for 2013 (beyond my usual ones of eating healthier and exercising more!)



1> Memorize the book of Philippians

A few years ago I began to be bothered by how few scriptures I could recite from memory. I had read a book about Christians in China and their passion for the Word of God so inspired me. So I began to memorize verses. I can't even begin to explain how much it has helped me. Philippians consists of 104 verses so if you memorize 2 verses each week you can learn the entire book in one year.



2> Learn to play the mandolin

Last year for Christmas my husband bought me a mandolin. I love country music and thought this would be fun. Well, one year later all I have to show for it is a very short left hand manicure, semi-callused fingertips and the ability to play a few chords and a couple of tunes. I want to commit to practicing and really learning to play this year.



3> Learn to speak Dutch

We are expecting our first grandchild in the spring! Our daughter Carly and her husband Desmond live in the Netherlands so this baby will obviously grow up speaking Dutch. Carly has promised that she will teach her children English, but I'd like to be able to understand what the little ones are saying! We have a computer program that we've started with, and so far I've learned to say such useful phrases as "the clown has blue hair." Hopefully it will get better as it goes along, but if my grandkids say that about me, I'll be onto them ;)

How about you, any resolutions for the new year?

6 comments:

  1. Great post mom! You're such a great inspiration!!

    As for resolutions I'm pretty much sticking to my usual of reading more and becoming more organized.. but this year I'm skipping the losing weight one! :)

    xo Carly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carly,
      Part of my reason for posting these resolutions is I figure if they're out there and other people know about them I'll be more accountable and might actually do them!

      Delete
  2. Hi Kerri, Happy New Year! I'm with you on liking resolutions! After completing a few last year it felt so good, and then there were some that I didn't quite get around too...oops! But I'll be working on some of them this year, along with a few new ones. I'd like to memorize more scriptures, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great resolutions, vooral Nederlands leren, dan moet ik mijn commentaar maar in het Nederlands schrijven (zonder fouten, mijn Nederlands is ook niet altijd goed, ondanks dat ik hier geboren ben)
    Leuk dat je oma wordt, 3 dec. hebben wij net weer een kleinzoon gekregen, foto heb je misschien wel op mijn blog gezien? Een lief klein jongetje.

    groetjes

    ReplyDelete