Sunday, July 8, 2012

For the girl with blueberry eyes

     So, yesterday at the lake I got to pick blueberries. We used to do this all the time as kids growing up on Cape Cod. It was a bit easier there - they grew on high bushes and my knees and back didn't creak back then. I was telling my friends how my siblings and I would struggle to bring home the 8 cups needed for my mom to bake a blueberry pie. The blueberries were abundant, but the problem was keeping them in the bucket and out of our mouths.

     Yesterday my little friend E* came to me, smiled, and asked if I would give her my berries when I'd filled my cup. I, being the sweet, grandmotherly type that I'm aspiring to be, said, "no." But I did tell her that if she gave me her berries that I would bake her some blueberry cupcakes. She didn't, but her mother did. So this morning I was in the kitchen with my old stand-by muffin recipe, happy that I hadn't packed my muffin tins yet. Seriously, this recipe is super easy and never fails. I think that I got it out of an old Yankee magazine cookbook many years ago. Another benefit of this recipe is that you only need 1 cup of fruit.



FRUIT MUFFINS

1 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 cup sour cream (regular)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1-3/4 cup all-purpose white flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup diced fruit

Preheat oven to 375F (175C). Line muffin pan with cupcake liners or grease well and flour.

In large bowl whisk together sugar, egg, sour cream and oil. Whisk in flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir in fruit. Spoon into prepared pan. Bake for 20 - 24 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

E* was happy.

1 comment: